Reporting Wages When You Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Reporting Wages When You Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a needs-based program for people who are disabled, blind, or aged. The amount you can receive is based, in part, on the income available to you. To make sure you get timely and accurate payments, participate in monthly wage reporting.

What is monthly wage reporting?

When you report your wages to Social Security at the beginning of each month, we call it monthly wage reporting. The law requires you to report your wages when you receive SSI. These wages may or may not affect your SSI payment. We’ll also consider certain expenses you pay that make it possible for you to work. Generally, the more income available to you, the less your SSI payment will be. Reporting wages each month helps us pay the correct amount of SSI. Timely reporting may also prevent you from owing us money or may allow us to pay a higher amount.

Do I need to report other wages?

Sometimes you must report someone else’s wages to us. Here are a few examples:

• Your spouse, if he or she lives with you;

• Your parent(s), if you live with them and are younger than age 18; and

• Your sponsors, if you are not a U.S. citizen, even if the sponsors do not live with you.

You must also report to us if you, your spouse, parents, or sponsors start or stop working.

NOTE: If you are the spouse, parent, or sponsor of a person receiving SSI, you need to report your wages monthly to receive accurate and timely payments.

Who reports monthly wages?

You must report your own wages and those of the people mentioned previously. Some people who receive SSI have a representative payee to help them with their payments. Payees can help us make timely and accurate payments by participating in monthly wage reporting.

NOTE: If you are a representative payee, it is your responsibility to report the wages.

How do I report monthly wages?

SSI recipients and deemors, concurrent beneficiaries, and representative payees can report wages online using their my Social Security account. This will make it easier and faster to report wages. After reporting wages online, you can save or print a copy of your receipt. Representative payees can use their personal my Social Security account to report wages for the beneficiaries they represent, but will not have full access to the beneficiary’s information.

You can still use our automated phone system or free mobile wage reporting application as well. However, if you need to report wages for an employer not shown on the Wage Reporting screens in my Social Security, have selfemployment earnings to report, are reporting work activity for the first time, reporting wages outside of the reporting month, or start paying expenses for work because of your disability, please contact your local Social Security office.

When do I report monthly wages?

You should report monthly wages as soon as you receive your last payment each month, but no later than the 10th day of the next month. For example, we must receive your monthly wage report for January no later than February 10.

Contacting Social Security

The most convenient way to contact us anytime, anywhere is to visit where you can also take care of some business with an online my Social Security account.

Call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 or at 1-800-325-0778 (TTY) if you’re deaf or hard of hearing. We can answer your calls from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., week days. Or use our automated services via telephone, 24 hours a day. We look forward to serving you. Social Security Administration Publication No. 05-10503 | ICN 470103 | Unit of Issue — HD (one hundred) July 2018 (Recycle prior editions) Reporting Wages When You Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Produced and published at U.S. taxpayer expens

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s