Expedited Reinstatement

What is EXR?
If your benefits ended because you worked and had earnings, you can request that your benefits start again without having to complete a new application. While Social Security determines whether you can get benefits again, they can give you provisional (temporary) benefits for up to 6 months.

Are you eligible?
If you are an SSDI or SSI beneficiary who:

  • Stopped receiving benefits because of earnings from work,
  • Are unable to work or perform substantial gainful activity,
  • Are disabled because of an impairment(s) that is the same as or related to the impairment(s) that allowed you to get benefits earlier, and
  • Make the request within 5 years from the month your benefits ended.

What are provisional benefits?

Provisional benefits can be paid when you request EXR. It will include cash payments and Medicare/Medicaid coverage. They usually do not have to be paid back if Social Security denies your request. Provisional payments are paid for up to six months, but will end sooner if you:

  • Are notified of EXR decision
  • Engage in SGA
  • Reach full retirement age.

For additional information visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov, visit your local office, or call the Ticket Helpline 1-866-968-7842 to speak directly to a Community Work Incentive Coordinator.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s